Wednesday, September 9, 2009

ATM: The Fading Trend

http://http://www.seattlepi.com/virgin/321486_virgin28.html

I personally disagree with this because I use my ATM almost on a daily basis. Many of you might not feel the same way but I find it easier then just carrying money all the time. I can think of many situations where it would pay off to have an ATM card instead of carrying money. One of those situations include being approached by a mugger.

The total number of ATM machines in the United States today are 395,000. Between 2005 and 2006 the total number of ATM dropped by only 1,000. Compared to 395,000 machines , that does not seem like an immense decline to me.

The average cost of an ATM machine are between $9,000 and $50,000 per machine with an annual $12,000 to $15,000 in maintenance expenses. So no, these ATM machines arent cheap but they do come in handy for us. With all of the expenses for an ATM machine, Bill Virgin says ' a lack of demand is developing'.

This article directly relates to the first chapter's discussion of 'Transaction Processing Systems' because an ATM is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment